How can we improve the DL Series?

Use iPhone headphone output for monitor mixes?

402 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Troy Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a very obvious idea, but what is not obvious is how to transmit the signal back to the iphone or ipad with low enough latency to not affect the musician's performance. BTW, it does not need to transmit back all channels, just a stereo mix. I think it might be possible to do this on a LAN using Multi-Casting over UDP since UDP should have lower latency than TCP. Not sure if an iphone or ipad app can be programmed to listen on UDP.

• Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Gary, had the same issue with delay on the Monitor out for our headphones: found someone had set a delay value for Monitor. The settings button to the left of the "Shows" has the MONITOR output, where you can set Delay (D) and Level (L). Drag "D" back to zero and that should sort your delay issue for your monitoring.

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just got the Dl1608. only thing i don't like is the headphone out put has 1 second delay on every channel. luckily the main mix has zero latency or i would be in serious bad shape for shows i got coming up.anyone run into this problem or have encountered this condition? i also had to use a ground removal socket on the power cable. the noise was very bad!

• José commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

este recurso seria fantástico...
        Caso não seja possível para todos os músicos, ao menos para o técnico seria muito bom para o SOLO.

• 642Carl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the DL806 in a small studio jam space, getting the recording mix right can be tricky when I'm surrounded by the noise from the amps and drums.

If I could wirelessly (WIFI) route the main/monitor or recording mix to the iPad headphone output, I could take the iPad outside of the studio and set all the levels while the band is playing. For this application, I don't care about a little latency, this would be fantastic!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bad Idea guys. This is a common theme that is really just about trying to cheap out and not buy IEM's. The headphone jack will not work because the ipad output has nothing to do with the mixer, whichever version you have. The ipad is really just a remote control, all of the actual work is being done by the board itself. Second, no ipad in the world could handle the processing power needed to use it as an IEM. Third the decibel level that the outputs giving out would crush the ipad headphone output. Going back to processing power, to try and process 32 channels of audio or 16 or even 8 internally would crash your iPad in about 2 seconds.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know this seems overly simplified but it does work.
        I just have a pair of wireless headphones I use.
        The base station is next to the mixer plugged into the headphone out.
        I can walk around with the wireless headset and hear whatever is coming out the
        jack on the mixer.

• Eduardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the PA engineer would be a great solution to listen the "solo" channels from a wireless iPad, at least do this for the engineer who is walking around the venue. It has sense!!! It is not possible at least let us know!!! I insist let us know!!!

• Dwain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think this is do-able with a wifi connection. I think you'd run into a lot of latency and the sound coming thru the headphones would have a noticeable delay. To make it work properly would require another transceiver just for that. I just use IEMs.

• Mario Megaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whichever company makes this happen first will struggle to keep up with the demand until someone else makes it happen. This would be a game changer.

• Steve Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use an FM Transmitter and a MP3 player with an FM receiver and ear buds. Feed your transmitter from an Aux. Until Mackie can make our I-pads and I-phone phone jack work.

• Yurys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In ear monitor would put this mixer in another dimension all together.
        It would kill the competition.

• Mark Passmore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be implemented at least for the cue / solo function. This way the engineer who is wirelessly controlling the show via the iPad, could still use the cue / solo function when not near the DL1608 hardware. Makes sense, since the whole intention of the DL is to not need to be at the base unit during the show.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base