How can we improve DL1608?

MONO OUT for a single (1) sub with (2) stereo tops. Aux 6? Not same as crossover idea. Just MONO.

I often use my system with just one subwoofer and two tops running in stereo. I probably do this more than I use two subs. The presonus board I already sold for the mackie had 3 main outs, 2 for left/right and a mono out that I used for my sub. They both actually have their own gain control. Can we use aux 6 to mirror all main signals and use the channel fader as a type of gain? And then if I raise or lower the main volume the aux channel 6 moves relative to the main signal, but still retains the balance I set with the aux 6 fader.

I know this is similar to someone's else suggestion about using aux 6 as a kind of crossover signal for subs, I personally don't need this, my subs have built in crossovers, and I am not opposed to rolling of highs with the geq's if I have too. This post is specifically aimed at a Mono signal for subs.

318 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NamathNamath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RoadRangerRoadRanger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can actually do this now if you use a VCA that has the main and aux6 assigned to it :-) . And of course you have the option of using the EQ to make a crossover and even only put the channels with low frequency content into the sub :-) .

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I send my left Main out to Channel 16. Then I send that to Aux 5 & 6 only.
        I make Aux 5 my Low out and Aux 6 my High out. It works good if your running mono. For stereo, You would need to use 2 channels, and more Aux sends. I suggest mono subs then you only use 3 Aux sends.

• Carlos CastroCarlos Castro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With master fader 2.1 well be able to almost do this using one of the auxes set to post fader and the new low and high pass filters.
        The only problem is when you change the master volume you also have to change the sub (aux) level

Hello, I bought mackie dl1608, but I do not know English. I live in Kazakhstan, and I know only Russian. I can not find crossover. Please help me!Thanks in advance.Translation made in google translator. Please reply in English, I'll translate.

AS long as we don't looose the aux for all of us with bigger bands then yeah good Idea

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use aux6 set to post fader for sub mix. Works fantastic! The only downfall is you lose a monitor mix. Most bands don't need 6 sends anyway. Bring on a 24 channel though!! Much needed!

• diggodiggo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jon Balslev: most modern subs with built in crossover have a link out to the top speakers. (Two in two out and the sub plays the low freq from both channels). Why dont you use that connection model?
        ===========
        That connection model doesnt allow real time adjustment of the speaker management during a gig, especially while walking around with an iPad.....
        Tweaking the crossover and related settings 'remotely' can be a powerful solution.

• Jon BalslevJon Balslev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Namath, most modern subs with built in crossover have a link out to the top speakers. (Two in two out and the sub plays the low freq from both channels). Why dont you use that connection model?

• KeslerKesler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are you talking about all at 0db. All what? Auxs? Or all channels to that aux? Im assuming all channels to the aux set to 0. That would work to a point. But it's better to have the aux 6 still linked to the master fader channel. With this workaround you would still have to raise and lower the aux 6 independent of the master. And also the suggested idea would automatically send the main mix to the aux 6 out. No fooling around with the aux other than to set an initial gain level. This way the only controls used would be master and aux 6 level. In other words mains and mono.

Very good workaround. and I think it would work.

• Norbert AgostonNorbert Agoston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Set aux6 as post-fade and set them all 0 dB, and you're done. If its a real sub-range cabinet (crossed at 100Hz or under) you better only set the sends for channels which are having this part, eg. kick, bass, floortom, etc. This setup is quite common also on bigger pa systems, channels like vocals, brass, and other instruments basically hi-passed are kept away from the PA subs simply by the routing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base