How can we improve DL1608?

Add virtual subgroups to allow group processing of channels

I like to work with group compression, especially on vocals, toms, and guitars. It would be nice to have 8 virtual subgroups to send channels to in order to apply group compression as well as a possibly EQ. Assignment "switches" would need to be added to the inputs just like on an analog console. Stereo groups would be a big plus as well so that effect returns could also be routed to the groups and maintain imaging.

406 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Greg CameronGreg Cameron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • john penovichjohn penovich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK thanks beno.

guess I'll be selling the iPad 1 which I got because it doesn't do the white noise for music playback.

any update on whether that is fixed in 3.0?

• benoAdminbeno (Admin, Mackie) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As with all Master Fader updates, the firmware update is included and you need to have matching version of the App and Firmware to operate.

• john penovichjohn penovich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see..will it also update the mixer firmware? Wondering if I can switch back and forth between iPads, or is it a once you've upgraded the mixer your 1st gen becomes useless for it

• nateynatenateynate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will 3.0 be released? I don't see it in the app store just yet. Would it be possible to get a "release notes" and see what we can expect from the release as a whole?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a temporary work around, how feasible would it be to physically 'patch' an Aux out to a new input fader? Effectively creating a sub-group but with the disadvantage of losing a fader input and the additional D-A, A-D Conversions. I know its ludicrous, but given there is no alternative at present, can anyone see any major pitfalls doing this?

Now that you have the ability to use groups for viewing, it would be great to have some sub groups that could be dropped on one of those view groups. eg: my group 4 view is usually my percussion view, group 3 is the instruments, group 2 is my vocals,it would be nice to be able to add a single drum sub mix to the group 1 view and a single instrument sub mix to my vocals in view 1

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long as we are being greedy, can we please at GEQ to this, or just allow plugin effect of GEQ ...please please. I using this for a lot of lavalier work. It's nice to group them and bus through a GEQ. It could be use ful for everyone else as well

If you could send an Aux out to the main out, you could use your aux as a sub group.

• Ha-PowHa-Pow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much needed! Being able to compress and EQ a group of signals sounds different than compressing and EQing them individually. Plus, it would solve the need for group volume control. Like a DCA. Make this mono and stereo compatible and there would be no need for DCA's... How can we talk the peeps who voted for DCA faders to take their votes back and vote for virtual subgroups instead? ; )

• Larz HansonLarz Hanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This single feature would solve several other requests and be a massive upgrade. Notably, it would reduce the need for more options in Aux routing as users could set channel Comps for limiting only, but apply it liberally on a stereo subgroup going to the mains. It would be smart design too if the virtual subgroups were full-featured. That means having everything the channels have (HPF, EQ, Gate, Comp, Aux Sends & FX Sends). This one feature could completely change the way guys use their DL's and offer a massive upgrade in control.

• Greg CameronGreg Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't forget that this option also allows you to compress vocals and other instruments without adding compression to the monitors - something that usually undesirable.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base