How can we improve DL1608?

16 channel recording and playback.

Tittle says it all. How nice would it be to have a virtual sound check. If I play back all the tracks I could set main mix, monitor mix, eqs, etc. loved this with my presonus because I was able to set my band up and record some, then go out into the crowd hit playback and see what needs to be adjusted. It works much better than asking someone how it sounds. This is huge with presonus mixers.

1,443 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PopsPops shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Juan C Pacheco Juan C Pacheco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just buy a DL1608 and are very satisfied with its sound and ease of use, as has been discussed that could be great multitrack recording, hopefully Mackie surprised us with this console.

• slapperslapper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even just the 16 channels post a-d sent to the LAN would be useful.
        That opens the door for 16 channel recording + network based monitoring duities.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wish we had some news on this....kinda bummed that this hasn't happened yet. I'm going to have to get an Allen & Heath soon but a big part of me wishes that Mackie would just come out with their own digital mixer with a few more outputs and multi-track recording. They have done such a great job making the iPad app super easy to use while still being powerful, and it's really cool how responsive they've been to user requests with the app updates...I realize multitrack recording may not be possible with the current hardware, but dang I wish they would just come out with the "big brother" to the DL1608 sometime soon...like now...maybe we'll hear something at Summer NAMM?? Hoping...

Ok I like the idea. If it can be done with this hardware. Other wise a 3 rd party second unit might be best .

I just want to see the waveform being recorded with the ability to playback from the Master Fader app. Is that too much to ask?

Well if it is true that it can't be done with this hardware, then here's a +1 vote for Mackie to come out with a 24-channel that does record (or at least usb stream) all 24 channels! (Or at least an updated DL1608 with 16-channel usb streaming to laptop.) Lower roundtrip latency in the mixer itself would be awesome too...

• Braden PletzerBraden Pletzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

16 channel recording to even USB shouldn't be asking too much. Then we could record straight to our laptops/mac books. Of course the current hardware may not support this addition. We all may have to wait for the next hardware update. Can you say 2014? Hopefully!!!

• Larz HansonLarz Hanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mackie tech may need to back me up here, but as I've read, the Ethernet connection carries only control signals...no audio...and can't be adapted to do so. Really, the DL was designed to do bare-bones live mixing in an extremely slick, modern way. It fills a niche for users who want a compact, highly capable mixer to run basic sound and offer simplified wireless capability. It was never intended to be a do-all digital mixer.

On the other hand, Mackie has used the DL project to develop a very user-friendly interface for the iPad, better than pretty much any other manufacturer's, and maybe they have new tricks up their sleeves that we haven't seen yet. Perhaps a new 24-channel DL console that takes their success with Master Fader and blends it with newer iOS capabilities? We'll see...

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about adding an external box, as a networked device, that contained a hard drive and processing to achieve 16 channel recording? This way, an additional recording app could be developed and controlled from the IPad. The DL would simply act as a interface for connections.
        Then you could just run the 2 apps simultaneously while running sound and recording, switching views when required. Seems like a simple and cheap solution even a third party could do... Hmmm...

• Mitch NicholsonMitch Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mackie created one hell of a live mixer, the best I've used yet. Throwing dreams of adding a 16 track recording interface into the mix is just useless..I'm actually surprised that they even allowed the stereo recording of the mains!

Keep your sl16.0.2 comments to yourself until presonus makes an app as half as good as master fader.

• Larz HansonLarz Hanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ain't gonna happen with the DL1608 or DL806, y'all, so you might as well take your votes back off this subject. Unless Mackie comes out with a new hardware chassis, the current models were designed when iOS4 was the standard, and that system only allowed 2x2 audio streams in and out of the iPad. Behringer benefited from ripping off Mackie's design after iOS5 came along, but hey...it's Behringer. Could be gold, or it could be a turd...gotta lay down your money first to find out. Sounds a little too much like ObamaCare, so I'll stick with Mackie. As for PreSonus, I own an SL1642, and they're about to release the updated "AI" versions. The PreSonus boards are actually really nice, but their iPad app isn't nearly as smooth or fun to use as my DL1608. For now, if I just want to do quick, easy, fun mixing, I take the Mackie. If I want to record multitrack performances, I take the PreSonus (and my Mac Mini).

I agree it isn't really needed for virtual soundcheck (unless you are mixing yourself and don't have a looper), HOWEVER obviously we all want the ability to capture our live shows in multi-track format rather than being stuck with a 2-track mix. PreSonus and Behringer already offer this, but I like the Mackie so much...really hope they add this extremely important feature soon!

(Or better yet, come out with a new, lower-latency 24-channel mixer with remote controlled digital input trim, subgroups, another stereo pair of auxes, parametric eq on all outputs, high quality lexicon reverb, and 24-channel recording via a thunderbolt port...I'd pay $3,000 or $4,000 if I had to...)

• EdwinEdwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apart from Anonymous' comment on blending house and stage volume, which is completely correct: wasn't the idea of a wireless mixer not exactly this: being able to mix live sound from anywhere in the venue, walking around whilst ringing out your monitors, etc? We do a live soundcheck, with one iPad2 for FOH and 2 iPads2 and an iPhone for inearmonitors on stage. Takes us about 20 minutes from a basic setup to get a well tuned sound for every place we play. You're asking for a solution for a problem that needs not to be solved. So stop dreaming, cos Ben says no.

• CGCG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It does allow you to record a stereo mix inside the app. You would just have to connect you iPad to iTunes on your computer then take the audio and download it on to your iPad.

Definitely. To be able to record and export stems through the mixer would be top
        of the list for me.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May be I've missed the statement from Mackie, but as an engineer, it seems to me that the hardware in the dl1608 should be totally capable of providing multiple channel recording via USB. It has the multiple ADC, DSP and USB needed. May be it hasn't got enough memory to cope with the full 16 channel out, but even 8 would make this unit a red hot product. As far as I can see its just a matter of providing the DSP code to enable it. Oh and an Apple core Audio USB driver! Yes please!

• SethSeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If 16-channel recording isn't possible with the current hardware, what about at least having 7-channel recording (6 aux sends + 1 main mix)? I'm honestly considering buying 7 tape decks and plugging them in.

My use case: I'm mic czar for a 13-member a cappella singing group. Everyone is individually mic'd. I would wager my first born that people sing more sloppily when we're all singing together than when we say in rehearsal, "okay, just the tenors". So, I want to record some subsets of the group in rehearsal as we sing together, and use the recordings to find problems.

• MarekMarek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a pity to read, that this HW will not support 16 tracks recording.

What about this idea: to unicast audio streams using the ethernet port to another comp and apropriate driver there ? It could be realizable with this HW or not ?

And/Or 16x direct outs (analog only) should be very helpful too (instead of using external card with mic preamp)...

• Richard LawrenceRichard Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to defend Mackie on this request. The memory and processing required for simultaneous tracking would be huge. Right now I use an iso splitter and track 8 at once to my R-16. The DL can't be all things guys.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base