How can we improve DL1608?

Parametric EQ options on all outputs

I would like to be able to select this option. It makes it real easy to filter out monitor mix feedback. And set a nice sounding eq

1,583 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PopsPops shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

walterw, are you sure?? How do you know? If true, this is AWESOME!!!!!!!! If not, I am going to pound my forehead repeatedly into the DL1608...

• walterwwalterw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lemme be the first to say, "woo-hoo!" parametrics on outputs, coming up! (high AND low pass filters, too.)

• CarlosCarlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't forget to include a variable high and low pass filters when you do the Parametric eq.
        From reading the posts it seems that the best choice is to include the PEQ and keep the GEQ and warn the user when he changes from one to another that the eq is going to screw up

• Larz HansonLarz Hanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know that the parametric EQ's will be included in the next update, but I've heard Ben and his team are getting close to another release. Keep your fingers crossed...

hello? anyone home over here?

so how about that "V2.01" with the parametrics on outputs option?

I'm pretty sure most soundmen would prefer one or the other and leave it there. I see the usefulness of a graphic EQ, but I would prefer a parametric like the current "Modern" any day. Some guys grew up with graphics on their monitors though, and that's the way their brain is wired.

maybe it's an issue with switching back and forth.

think about it; switching the channel DSP from "modern" to vintage causes the settings to approximate the previous interface. switching a parametric to a graphic could easily work the same way, with the 31 bars "recreating" the parametric's curve.

but what about the other way? a goofy, chopped-up graphic EQ setting with individual bands far apart from each other can't really be recreated by a parametric. (another reason why parametrics are better, frankly!)

so what's the option? make it so the previous parametric profile returns when you switch, regardless of how the graphic is set? a big EQ change in the middle of a show could be a Bad Thing.

(i'd be fine with that myself, maybe with a big "are you sure?" prompt warning that going to parametric on this output will change the EQ setting.)

If Mackie had designed the DL with just parametric eq's on the outputs, they would've caught hell from the large number of sound guys who are used to and expect graphics. I also prefer parametrics, and I think Mackie will add them shortly, but I fully understand their logic in using graphics at the unit's launch.

maybe this can be added later, but yeah, very disappointing that we can't ditch the goofy 31 band for the lovely parametrics on the outputs.

Can't believe this didn't make it into the v2.0 update (apparently.) A zillion other things did, and this got ignored???????? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who would give up a zillion 31-band fixed-frequency eq's in favor of the great parametric that is on all the channels...please Mackie just put THAT on the master and all outputs!! WAY more useful, flexible, and accurate than the 31-band!!!!

1608 is a wonderful mixer. Just damned GEQs put it in a kindergarten league. At least make a PEQ option on ALL outputs, better yet, remove useless graphics altogether.

I'm not saying 1608 GEQs perform bad, it's just they are useless anywhere in signal chain, regardless of event or equipment used.

Respectfully

PS - pardon my example below is based on 15-band frequencies, obviously 31-band is a bit better (225hz would have been a better example for the mackie which has 200 and 250hz sliders etc.) but the principle is the same...PEQ still wins every time in terms of precision and flexibility.

Just reading some of the comments below that are apparently against this idea...I realize that 31-band eq's were the industry standard in live sound in the days of outboard hardware, but the truth is that a good PEQ like Mackie's, IF USED PROPERLY, allows much more surgical and transparent feedback notching while leaving more of the original tone intact. For example, if one of your feedback frequencies is at, say, 200hz, with a PEQ you can set the center of the band to exactly 200, set the "Q" to the absolute narrowest setting that still gets rid of the feedback, and cut as needed. With a 31-band, you are stuck with the "Q" that the manufacturer chose for you, and all you could do is cut the 250hz slider or the 125hz slider, or both, basically using a sledgehammer instead of a fly swatter to kill a fly...that's why a lot of us are asking for the PEQ. It just gives you more flexible and more precise control than a 31-band. It works GREAT on the individual channels...having it on the Aux outs and main LR out would be extremely helpful.

It would be great to have it on the Master Bus, not just the Auxes (though that would be useful too, I agree.) The channel eq is so great....would so much rather have one of those on the master and each aux instead of a 31-band fixed frequency, fixed Q.

YES YES YES YES YES!!! After using this unit for a couple weeks this is still one of my top two wishes....in fact I would be happy to lose the 31-band in favor of another 4-band PEQ if that's what it took.

• YayaYaya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey mini future apparently you don't understand the difference between your suggestion and peq. Get a clue dude!

• minifutureminifuture commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just press Draw and yo can draw your PEQ with the 31 bandEQ
        I have done it it works fine

Richard Lawrence - you hit the nail on the head. I couldn't believe it when I discovered that the Aux sends were pre-eq. That is insane and an absolute dealbreaker. I REALLY hope Mackie fixes this like TODAY!! That would be my number 1 request, before channel grouping and the ability to record all individual tracks etc.

To anonymous PEQs are by far the faster way to quicker and better way to ring out feedback. They allow you to quickly zero in on very specific frequencies and raise/reduce them. You then can widen/narrow them as needed. If you thing 31 band geqs are the better way then, to be quite honest, you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Richard LawrenceRichard Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What would really help achieve better monitor gain before feedback would be for Mackie to fix the fact that all AUX sends on the DL are POST EQ/COMP.
        Trying to "fix" your post EQ mix is presently impossible. I can't believe this isn't the most requested feature!!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base